BMD is the method used to quantify the mass of bone in the body. It is also effective in tracking the effects of treatment for osteoporosis and other conditions that cause bone loss.
Bone Mineral Densitometry (BMD)
Common uses of BMD:
- BMD is often used to diagnose osteoporosis. This is a common bone disease which makes bone fragile and easy to fracture. Some common causes of osteoporosis include:
– Lack of physical activity
– Low calcium intake in the diet
– An alcoholic or/and smoker
Preparations for BMD:
- Inform the radiographer if there is any metal in your body, such as spinal fusion rods or a hip prosthesis.
- It cannot be scheduled within 4 days following any contrast scans such as barium studies, IVU, CT scan or radio-isotope nuclear medicine scans.
- No special preparations or appointment booking is required for BMD scan.